DenL's Combat Tweaks Continued

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum DenL's Combat Tweaks Continued

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by MEsk MEsk 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Wow so generous of you to let me have my own Thread to share my non-existent project (yet, hopefully) with you guys, Thanks a lot.

I’ve just asked one of Nexusmods’ moderators about uploading the updated Dennis Lee’s Combat Tweaks.

Fortunately, I’ve managed to import all of strings, sources, scripts and GDAs. The only thing that stands on the way of releasing the mod is implementing 2 of 4 changes made in update 3.23:
    1- Weird behavior of knocking down with Telekinetic Weapons at ranged.
    2- (Done) Virulent Walking Bomb not applying its effects.
    3- (Done) The four tier 4 poisons still can’t be used even with Improved Poison-Making.
    4- Several high tier poisons’ cool down not being shared and rank-based.

Edit: All along, I still have no idea what’s going on inside these files which can cause lots of problems for me later.
    ip_restrict_skipoison2.ncs
    placeable_core_ct.ncs
    threatmod.ncs
    c_golema_cbt.anb

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by MEsk MEsk.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

The following 20 posts were originally in the Report Bugs And Any Other Issues here thread…. splitting them here for organizational purposes. At least, that’s the plan… never used this feature of board moderation before, hopefully I get it right.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Hey there,

Sorry for the delay of reporting bugs. I was so busy figuring out a way to let mages open all chests before lothering. Unfortunately, Daveth can’t pick them all. For a few days I tried to make Daveth and Tower Guard(Ishall) rogues but it failed. Turned out NPCs in this game doesn’t actually consider a class as their main. Therefore, they sometime picked warrior and sometimes rogue although I assigned both rogue class, AI & AL package. Messing around with scripts, AL packages and creature files were all but waste of time.

Now, I’m implementing an unlock spell. I’ve used Mutator’s unlock spell in my combat tweak setup. My staff focus is now the 2nd ability in the row with a perquisite level of 3 and it unlocks containers. But since his script unlocks everything I thought you’d help me figure out what is the source script so I can tweak it a little beat. Since it’s an early spell I would like to make it open only Novice locks (I’ve found out the lock picking can get up to 60 max and ostagar and ishall’s containers are either 1 (autopick) or 10 (simple) while messing around with XLS files under \toolset\source\ ). I haven’t started on creating a script yet but I’m thinking about heal spell as a base script (the single target script).

Here are the new bugs I’ve discovered. So far I’ve covered my multiple playthroughs up to Tower of Ishall.

• Follow the road north from where the sergeant is lecturing about the dead darkspawn with Alistair, Ser Jory and Daveth. Exhausting all dialogues with Alistair at the edge of the cliff suddenly teleports you near the sick mabari. I’ve noticed on other part of the camp you have less chance of triggering this bug.

• Wikia: When Morrigan guides you back from Flemeth’s Hut, evening has fallen. The Quartermaster will have restocked inventory (i.e. everything bought from him during the day can be bought again. The same goes for stealing, you can have a duplicate of Hardy Belt.); Although I couldn’t replicate it the results on multiple playthroughs

• There was a bug which caused the objects remain highlighted if the player interacts with them and hold tab. The bug can be produced again (although it was fixed for vanilla) for Party Command Unlock mod by holding while party member opens the lock for you.

• Wikia: The Tower Guards from the entrance to Tower of Ishall don’t actually have enough Strength to normally wear their helmets, so if you unequip them then he won’t be able to wear it again. That’s probably why The Helmet Hack mod report conflict when you reach them.

• Check this out. I’m not sure which one of them are still lying there with latest update and your fixpack.
    Wikia: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Exploits_(Origins)

Did you know google result for “qwinn mods” doesn’t include your website?

By the way, I think you’ve missed my other post asking if you’re going to add these to 3.4 changelog

-Damage Statistic Fix
    -Sloth Cunning Check
    -Allies Steal XP: (so far I confirm Fade Bear, Lily & Jowan, Daveth & Jory, Tower Guard & Soldier (Tower of Ishall) get all XP for finishing a kill. In my opinion it’s better to completely stop temporary companions from gaining XP)

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

I’d like to contribute to your project so much specially with the combat part.
    You said before that you want to make combat fixpack but it’s almost impossible for you to maintain two bug fix mod at the same time.
    As an alternate, I’d like to suggest to you to bring all your combat fixes inside this mod. I know you’re afraid of compatibility issues but isn’t it on other authors to make their mods compatible. You said the same about Party Command Unlock compatibility here in above.

The part I’d like to take in development of this combat fixes part is I provide you with weekly updated documents including whatever vanilla combat bugs I can find, describing them and giving you the solution on which file to change and how to. Then when you had enough bugs you can slowly start to import them to your mod the way you want.

As an example:

Combat Bug Fix #22658 – Magic \ Entropy Spells \ Drain Life

Description: {Nexus Mod #1237} If an enemy casts the Drain Life spell on a party member that is inside a Force Field, the target takes no damage, but the enemy is still healed. This should not happen, as no health is drained (target unaffected while inside the force field).

Files Modified: spell_drainlife.nss

Solution: Change the Script as below
    ——————————————————————–
    // create event
    event ev = Event(90210);
    ev = SetEventInteger(ev, 0, stEvent.nAbility);
    ev = SetEventObject(ev, 0, stEvent.oCaster);
    ev = SetEventObject(ev, 1, stEvent.oCaster);
    ev = SetEventObject(ev, 2, stEvent.oTarget);
    ——————————————————————-
    }
    object oVictim=GetEventObject(ev, 2);  
    //DisplayFloatyMessage (oVictim,GetName(oVictim) + ” – crap!”,0,0xff0000,5.0);
    if (GetHasEffects(oVictim, EFFECT_TYPE_INVALID, ABILITY_SPELL_WALL_OF_FORCE) == FALSE)
    {

// heal
    float fHeal = GetEventFloat(ev, 0);
    effect eEffect = EffectHeal(fHeal, bHeal);
    eEffect = SetEffectEngineInteger(eEffect, EFFECT_INTEGER_VFX, nVFX);
    ApplyEffectOnObject(EFFECT_DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT, eEffect, stEvent.oCaster, 0.0f, stEvent.oCaster, stEvent.nAbility);
    }
    break;
    —————————————————————-

What do you think?

Btw, I forgot to mention there’s no visible commands fix in 3.4 as well?

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

-Option to edit your post
    -Page changer arrow keys should be first/last instead of backward/forward
    -login from every page instead of opening a separate one
    -spellcheck for written posts.
    -black user interface or atleast a darker tone.

I’ve increased the amount of time you can edit a post from 5 minutes to 2 hours.
    Spellcheck is working for me, it doesn’t work for you?
    I tried the black user interface. It looks fine on most pages but it makes the forums unusable. I’ll look into options.

I’m not sure what do you mean by that. I’ve noticed the intelligence thing too but even with that in mind, a mage could barely reach 25 in a stat with 5 point to spend at the start of the game.

I’m saying that a “High” stat check wasn’t always 30, at least I don’t think it was. And I don’t think a “Low” check was always the useless 10. As I believe INT was changed to Cunning pretty early on, I don’t think we can go much by what the exact required value is. But I do think it was originally meant to be a check on the player’s main stat, and then that changed, and a rogue stat check no longer makes sense in a mage origin. A main theme of this Fixpack is that I don’t change things if there’s reasonable doubt that it was intended to be the way it is, and this falls under that category. And even if it weren’t for that theme, I really don’t see how it would improve the game either.

You said before that you want to make combat fixpack but it’s almost impossible for you to maintain two bug fix mod at the same time.

It’s not that it’s impossible. It’s a lack of incentive to reproduce something that is mostly covered by other mods anyway (even if imperfectly) and where I *can* make them a bit more compatible with some changes in my mod as it is. Now, if I had incentive such as a substantial level of support (such as amazon shopping via my portals, etc.), maybe, but, believe me, even with the very very appreciated kindness of the dozen or so total people since 2009 who have shown any kind of support along those lines, I still haven’t actually made a single week’s minimum wage paycheck from voluntary donations (I was able to sell my Planescape mods for a considerable amount, but I’m not seeing that happening with this mod). Over 99% of people (literally, comparing downloads to support) expect mods, even massive mods like this, to be 100% free – even a couple of extra mouse clicks before shopping appears too much to ask of most – and I’ve run out of ways to politely point out how unreasonable that is for projects of the scope I’ve undertaken, and don’t feel like asking beyond what I have anymore. I’ll maintain the Fixpack in its current scope because I feel I do owe the two handfuls of people who HAVE contributed that much, and well, I’m proud of it and want it to be perfect, but I’m not going to invest another 1000 hours into another mostly redundant effort when those who are perfectly happy to take advantage of the fact that I can’t charge for my work (for the record, if I could, I’d charge $5) utterly overwhelm the kind souls who don’t.

So, please don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m going to request that you not continue to repeatedly ask me to invest yet another vast chunk of my time and expertise into an endeavor just like the one I’ve spent 8 months on that has probably gotten about the same amount of voluntary support over 7 years that the average three-lines-of-script mod gets. Usually, it just makes me sad. The scope of what I’m willing to mod is already several times larger than anyone else (with the possible exception of SpaceAlex and IA) has been willing to undertake in 7 years, and it’s not going to expand for the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance.

Btw, I forgot to mention there’s no visible commands fix in 3.4 as well?

Nor will there be, as it is outside of the scope of this mod.

The XP thing, if it really would require a change to creature_core and couldn’t be done through player_core, is therefore also outside of the scope of this mod. And that’s because…

I don’t think it’s simply fixed by changing player core. Otherwise why both of them are fixing it by using eventmanager.

Be it player_core or creature_core, they would use Event Manager for compatibility with other mods that would otherwise all be incompatible due to needing to change the same scripts. I don’t use event manager, so to keep a respectable level of compatibility, I have to avoid touching core scripts, hence why I am not willing to go there.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

I’m sorry, I just got so excited to see you return and continue your fix pack. Thus came the inappropriate relentless requests for development of other aspects of your mod. Your work built the motivation in me to continue Combat Tweaks on my own. My intention was just to raise motivation rather than to push you to something you don’t want to.

IMHO, if you want to improve your employment chance or donation rate you should move on to more up to date games, specially try to choose a different company. Start ahead of other modder and follow routines of those before you such as USKP team. Forming a team, creating multiple websites and mirrors… A lot of these ideas can prove useful in reaching your goal. You can start a Patreon as well. You can charge your client for creating customized stuff for them based on their preference.

Soon enough, I’m going to ask for CT author’s permission to re-upload an updated version of his mod when I felt like enough has been implemented. So far, I’ve managed to import bugfix for drain life-ForceField, Find Vitals and some other bugfixes and tweaks.

Although scripting is my weakness I feel like I enjoy scripting more than playing the game. I’ve managed to develop the Unlock Spell which I described in earlier posts. The script function as I wanted but I feel like some lines are pretty much redundant. I’d be so glad if you please take a look at it. Learning scripts based on bioware tutorials are so slow, I thought you might have some tips to help me improve my scripts.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Hi, The version 3.3 of your B2B package seems to checks out every entry in toolset or I’m doing something wrong? besides, it takes a really long while to load it into Toolset.

approval_h.nss provided in the ver 3.3 of your mod (not the B2B) cause an error while compiling rules_core and player_core. Thought you’d want to know.

E: 17:28:02 – approval_h.nss – approval_h.nss(939): Variable defined without type (while compiling vfx_constants_h.nss)

The unlock spell is finished but I’ve decided to change all 4 abilities in its row. So I’ll postpone sending the scripts until after I’m finished with them. I briefly explain what I’ve done in the past two weeks. Vanilla spells feel so repetitive specially the useless arcane spells.

– I’ve not decided what to replace arcane bolt with yet. But I have an ethereal ghost form in mind to temporarily allow you run away from melee attackers.
    – The 2nd spell is now unlock, the icon is finished. The script allows up to 25 difficulty of locks to be picked if caster is equipped with a staff. The tooltip isn’t finished.
    – The 3rd spell is now blink, the icon is finished. The script allows caster to teleport away after 1 sec of channeling, clearing the threats to where he points but in a maximum range of 450. The tootip isn’t finished.
    – The 4th spell allows unlock to affect up to 40 difficulty and blink up to 650 range and removes the channel. It also applies an improved version of staff focus.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

I’ve figured out the approval bug. includes were not loaded in m toolset. Now, I’m trying to find out why I get this error
    E: 07:44:19 – sys_soundset_h.nss – sys_soundset_h.nss(12): Included file not found (while compiling combat_damage_h.nss)
    12th line refers to including plt_qwinn_approval but there are not plt_* files loaded. I can’t even create files starting with plt_ myself. They are reserved.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Nvm, figured out what’s this error for as well.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Hello again,

I’ve already mentioned that I’m developing Combat Tweaks. I’m using these files from your dazip (instead of your B2B package since it checks out everything):
    plt_genpt_app_morrigan.nss
    plt_genpt_app_morrigan.plo
    plt_genpt_app_zevran.nss
    plt_genpt_app_zevran.plo
    plt_qwinn_approval.nss
    plt_qwinn_approval.plo
    qwinn_approval.ncs
    qwinn_approval.nss
    approval_h.nss
    sys_soundset_h.nss
    sys_treasure_h.nss

Would you please tell me if you update them often? because everytime one of these are changed I need to recompile everything. Fortunately the rest of your mod doesn’t conflict with CT’s scripts. Is there anywhere I can check if the latest version affects which files?

I want to fix another bug (if you don’t want to have it in your mod):
    Rogue’s disarm trap animation is interruptible. You can unlock 5 traps at once before the first one finishes unlocking. There should be a script under the one in bold font (I haven’t figured it out yet).

The code is here:

case PLACEABLE_ACTION_DISARM:
    {
    if (!HasAbility(oUser, ABILITY_TALENT_HIDDEN_ROGUE))
    {
    // Only rogues can disarm traps
    nActionResult = FALSE;
    }

// Trap detection difficulty property is used instead of trap disarm property
    // because as a rule any trap you can detect you should be able to disarm.
    // It’s easier to enforce this in screipt than check every trap placed in
    // every level of the game.
    int nTargetScore = GetTrapDisarmDifficulty(OBJECT_SELF);
    int nPlayerScore = FloatToInt(GetDisableDeviceLevel(oUser));

if (nActionResult)
    {
    if (Trap_GetOwner(OBJECT_SELF) == oUser)
    {
    // Can always disarm your own traps
    nActionResult = TRUE;
    }
    else
    {
    Log_Trace(LOG_CHANNEL_SYSTEMS_PLACEABLES, GetCurrentScriptName(), “Player score: ” + ToString(nPlayerScore) + ” vs Disarm Level: ” + ToString(nTargetScore));

nActionResult = (nPlayerScore >= nTargetScore);
    }

WR_AddCommand(oUser, CommandPlayAnimation(904));

if (nActionResult)
    {
    // Can only disarm a trap once.
    if (!GetLocalInt(OBJECT_SELF, PLC_DO_ONCE_A))
    {
    SetLocalInt(OBJECT_SELF, PLC_DO_ONCE_A, TRUE);

// Slight delay to account for disarm animation.
    Trap_SignalDisarmEvent(OBJECT_SELF, oUser, 3.0f);
    }
    }
    else
    {
    if (nTargetScore >= DEVICE_DIFFICULTY_IMPOSSIBLE)
    {
    UI_DisplayMessage(oUser, UI_MESSAGE_DISARM_NOT_POSSIBLE);
    }
    else
    {
    UI_DisplayMessage(oUser, TRAP_DISARM_FAILED);
    SSPartyMemberComment(CLASS_ROGUE, SOUND_SITUATION_SKILL_FAILURE, oUser);
    }
    Trap_SignalTeam(OBJECT_SELF);
    PlaySound(OBJECT_SELF, SOUND_TRAP_DISARM_FAILURE);
    }
    }
    else
    {
    UI_DisplayMessage(oUser, TRAP_DISARM_FAILED);
    Trap_SignalTeam(OBJECT_SELF);
    }

break;
    }

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

I was testing my autoloot script in college, that I’ve realized there’s a weird bug here I’ve never mentioned before. This bug doesn’t trigger every time make a save before you enter the room behind Cullen in mage origin. There’s a mage there that has a 3 lined dialogue but when you interact with him the dialogue doesn’t play clear every time. Seems to me that sometimes the game forgets that you are in the same room at plays his voice muffled. Try it yourself I can’t describe this any better.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Seems like you don’t like discussing scripts in your forum. It’s the 3rd time I don’t get any reply on my script questions.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Sorry, meSK… haven’t had a lot of time to devote recently. Recent car accident, among other things. And your first scripting questions I thought you’d answered for yourself.

Would you please tell me if you update them often?

Have I had to update them since the beta? Yes. Will they again? These are likely to change again:
    qwinn_approval.ncs
    qwinn_approval.nss

I *hope* I don’t have to change approval_h.nss for the fixpack again. Did just get a report of an issue when picking Zevran up for the first time, though, so… yeah, I’d hold off trying to rush compatibility stuff with those right now, that stuff with their approval (to fix all their initial non-functional approval boosts and penalties) is some of the trickiest stuff I pulled off in the fixpack. I think it’s pretty solid, but… kinks in unusual circumstances still possible. I won’t be surprised if it needs a last tweak in v3.4.

As for your disarm script, you may get what you need with the WR_AddCommand itself. That’s terribly documented, but you may get what you need with setting bStatic to true:

WR_AddCommand(oUser, CommandPlayAnimation(904),FALSE,TRUE);

WR_AddCommand calls AddCommand, which is much better documented on the Wiki. And yeah, the Toolset Wiki was invaluable to me. If a link to the DA toolset wiki isn’t a favorite yet, you’ll want to add it ASAP.

So making it a static command would be my first shot anyway. The other settings might also play a factor.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

BTW – which files are you having to recompile for that list of my changed files you gave? Kinda surprising that it’d be anything other than player_core.nss maybe, for something for combat tweaks. Just because the export spits out a file doesn’t mean it’s necessary, and you don’t need to (or want to) recompile every file that calls a changed include, if the changes aren’t relevant to the function of the calling scripts, which happens a lot. Also, the toolset spits out *dozens* of unchanged plot files (plt_, .plo) with *every* export.

So anyway, tell me which files you’re changing that you think conflict with something you need to do, and I’ll try to tell you if the changes I made would actually cause a conflict or require a recompile/export.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

For the record, in my Affected Files List, I list this:

approval_h.nss (export genpt_approval_follower.nss and sp_module_item_acq.nss) GL3001,GL3105,GL3207,MO3001,ZE3001

Those two files I say to export are the only ones where my changes to approval_h are relevant, at least among the ones you listed. I doubt you need to touch either of those. Similarly:

sys_soundset_h (export player_core.nss) GL3002
    sys_treasure_h (export skill_stealing.nss, genpt_dog_main.nss) DO1001

Looking at the affected files list may answer many more questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.