General DA:O and Fixpack Discussion

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum General DA:O and Fixpack Discussion

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Eschilde Eschilde 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hey Qwinn, just wondering how this mod affects party banter. I mainly want to use Improved Atmosphere for increasing the rate of dialogue but haven’t because of the incompatibility issues. Does the fixpack affect this at all and if not, is there any way of integrating that component of IA without screwing up your mod in the process? Thanks for the help.

The question I usually get is about party barks, and if that’s what you’re referring to, you can go ahead and use the party_barks.dlg from IA. You’ll only lose a fairly minor bugfix from my mod. From my readme:

GL3006: Location based party barks would sometimes randomly fail to play at all. In almost all cases, you should now always get a single bark at each of these locations. This fix only works if you have a full party of 4. This fix was in the Fixpack since the v3.0 beta but was undocumented until v3.2 – my apologies. Note that the party_barks.dlg file from the mod Improved Atmosphere, a tweak that causes ALL followers to give their barks at every location, should be fully compatible, overwriting only fix UR3015.

That said, that file doesn’t affect party “banter”, which I understand as being two party members talking to one another. It only affects the location based party “barks” that are delivered by a single follower.

If IA does something to party -banters-, I’m unaware of it. Can you be more specific as to what it does to them?

Eschilde
    Eschilde
    Participant

Hi, Qwinn! I just picked DA:O up again very recently after not having touched it since 2010ish?, and found your fixpack, which beats the heck out of the very bloated IA 2.0.

I was running into a lot of Denerim crashes, which is strange because I played with IA back then and it never crashed on me. Using your fixpack instead of IA seems to have reduced those greatly (although they still exist.) Thanks for putting this fixpack out for a great game!

All that said, I was also looking for improved banter and found this topic. I believe what the original question was about was the additional party banter trigger points IA adds in. It’s in the main description on the Nexus Mod page:

Increased amount of party banter triggers (placed in sensible areas of the maps), making it possible to hear most, if not all, interactions between party members in a single playthrough.

Am I correct in believing this is most likely a series of map adjustments which doesn’t have a single file that can be used for overrides?

• This reply was modified 2 days ago by Eschilde Eschilde.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

I never quite understood that change in IA. *Most* of the banter trigger points in the game will reset when you leave the area and return, and can be hit multiple times. Leaving and reentering the area, then revisiting the banter trigger location should work every time. I can personally confirm such reusable banter triggers in first floor hallway of the Circle Tower, the one on the bridge in Lothering, the Hall of Heroes in Orzammar, a bunch of others.

It may be a bit immersion breaking to have to leave and reenter the area to get these banters, but you *can* see every banter in the vanilla game by doing so.

BTW, re: the crashes in Denerim, lower video settings results in fewer crashes there. In 2010, your hardware was probably only set for medium settings and so you got few if any crashes. Today, you can probably easily run it all on max settings, and are doing so, therefore more crashes.

The party_barks.dlg from IA is useful though. It allows all party members, not just one, to give their bark at the location based party bark trigger locations (apparently as long as they’re not totally repetitive). I only make one tiny fix to that file that isn’t very important, I would go ahead and use the IA version of that file if you want more barks. I noted the location in the IA folder structure for that file in my readme.

Eschilde
    Eschilde
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve started playing Denerim with lower settings and it’s reduced the crashing. I did install the barks trigger. Regarding the banter trigger points, it’s just nice to not have to reload a map every time you want to hear more banter. I ended up installing this banter now script which works fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.