The Compatibility Thread

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum The Compatibility Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 48 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Qwinn Qwinn 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

I’m sorry for the wrong bug report.
    I can’t believe I haven’t noticed that my game’s version is 1.04 all along not 1.05
    That’s why your mod wasn’t activated.
    Just updated, checked the bugs, both fixed.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Phew! Good to hear, thanks for letting us know.

MEsk
    MEsk
    Participant

Why didn’t you mention these bug fixes in 3.4 changelog?
    -bear cunning check
    -visible commands
    -damage statistics

Gosho
    gosho
    Participant

Hi Qwinn,
    Thanks a lot for your efforts to make dragon age a perfect Rpg 🙂
    i read that IMPROVED ATMOSPHERE and other dialogs mod are not compatible with your work. Is it possible and safe to merge manually the needed files for cutscenes and dialogues of your mod over them?
    An example:
    there are some dialogs of oghren that never triger or one that you can done only one time in the camp which you have fixed and some camera fixes. I would like to add them over IA, ZDF and morrigan restoration patch. It could work?

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hi gosho. Thanks for the thanks.

My mod takes a back seat to all other mods by default. If you install my fixpack and another mod that touches the same file, the other mod’s file will be active by default. The only way to not override my file is to remove that file from the other mod you’re trying to use.

So, basically, if you want to use other mods, you can install my fixpack and them. Their files will all override mine, and you should get every other fix that is not overridden. Is it possible that those mods will override only one half of the scripts/dialogues affected by one of my fixes, causing the other half to break? Yes. I did my best to minimize that potential, but there’s some cases where it can’t be helped, and I can’t predict which mods will break that.

I should ask, though… I can see wanting parts of IA, since it does a lot of things other than fixes. Why would you want to try ZDF though, aside from a couple of kiss tweaks I didn’t implement? That’s a LOT of potential conflicts and a lot of bugs that my fixpack won’t be able to fix just for a couple of kiss tweaks. Is there something that mod does that mine does not that I’m unaware of that you are trying to get? Mostly ditto on MRP (it does have a couple of purely creative/tweak cutscenes that I implemented differently, but still, it’s begging for a lot of problems for just those two cutscenes and another couple of kiss tweaks).

Gosho
    gosho
    Participant

Hey man thank you for the quick answer, you are the best!!
    I ask specifically about dialogue and cutscenes because i think they are not directly connected to other files?
    And i’m already in half of the game.

At this point i don’t know what files to keep from improved atmosfere mod without break the game..Your mod it’s a really must have one, but IA make the game more enjoyable.
    Also I can’t delete IA becuse i did a lot of changes to the UTC file of a lot of NPC (add variation of armours and weapons to make them less similar). Some of UTC are conected with certain dialogs and interactions in your mod?
    i see that you changed some utc file and add items.

About ZDF:
    It was already installed but at this point i could remove it.

About MRP:
    The cutscenes which implement are very cool also the hungry kiss one. Cool be wonderful to have them compatible with your mod.

I have also installed Dialogue Tweaks .93a
    and bye oghren, but i read that they are all fixed in your mod so will not keep them.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

If you’re already halfway through the game with those mods, I wouldn’t change anything, you’re more likely to break things than fix anything. My fixpack should really only be applied to a new game.

Gosho
    gosho
    Participant

I hoped that there could be a painful method to implement your fix files such missing dialogues, cutscenes ecc and do it slowly day per day and start a new game if needed..

MariusTempius
    MariusTempius
    Participant

Hi! I have some questions:

1. Does this mod restore the missing Kaddis store? (Why not*, if thats the case?)

2. I found “Magenta Emerald” (3411) on the DA Nexus, it had some fixes that I could not find in your readme.
    *In conversation with Nial camera for no reason at all sometimes switches to Senior Enchanter Torrin who stands near by.
    *After Uldred has been dealt with and if the Warden is a bloodmage Wynne doesn’t confront the Warden.
    *Godwin will hide in his closet even after Uldred has been dealt with.

Might be worth checking out that mod (if there are any fixes there that you have missed)

Thanks for your hard work!

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hiya Marius:

Thanks for the thanks!

1. Does this mod restore the missing Kaddis store? (Why not*, if thats the case?)

Because he was intentionally cut. I know this because the “Comments” on his store says “cut” (and it also has no inventory, so if I were to give him any, it would be based on arbitrary decisions on my part, which I try to avoid). I don’t restore things where there is clear evidence that the cut was intentional. Luckily that still left me a LOT of stuff I could restore.

2. I found “Magenta Emerald” (3411) on the DA Nexus, it had some fixes that I could not find in your readme.
    *In conversation with Nial camera for no reason at all sometimes switches to Senior Enchanter Torrin who stands near by.

This is already slated to be fixed in v3.4 – see the changelog thread for it.

*After Uldred has been dealt with and if the Warden is a bloodmage Wynne doesn’t confront the Warden.

This was also intentionally cut. If it were restored, it would require that the player be able to wipe out BOTH the Templars AND the mages. Lots of dialogues and scripts in the remainder of the game make the clear assumption that one or the other has been recruited, and they don’t have any way to handle neither (in fact, they usually work like this: “Did player side with Templars? No? Then assume he sided with mages” or the reverse.) I know some mods have attempted to restore this, but I didn’t find any that seemed to me (on a quick review) to have done enough to make it actually work properly everywhere it would need to. And – again – it was definitely cut deliberately, so I don’t do it.

*Godwin will hide in his closet even after Uldred has been dealt with.

I did fix this (back in my mod’s version 1.0, in fact), just described it in a different way.

CT1023: “Precious Metals”: Godwin will no longer vanish after talking to him once the “Broken Circle” quest is completed, which could unnecessarily force you to leave the area and return to respawn him for the “Precious Metals” quest.

ME described this as “Godwin hides in his closet”, but since the closet can’t be clicked on anymore at this point, you had to leave the area and return for him to come back, so it’s effectively a vanish.

Might be worth checking out that mod (if there are any fixes there that you have missed)

I already did. Seemed to me that about 70-80% of it was a redo of my fixes from my own mod’s version 2.0 (with no credit extended that I ever saw, for the record). He almost certainly copied the Godwin-closet thing from my v2.0 and changed the description, not the other way around.

Portucally
    Portucally
    Participant

Speaking of:

Because he was intentionally cut. I know this because the “Comments” on his store says “cut” (and it also has no inventory, so if I were to give him any, it would be based on arbitrary decisions on my part, which I try to avoid). I don’t restore things where there is clear evidence that the cut was intentional. Luckily that still left me a LOT of stuff I could restore.

There’s a mod by skymoves that restores this merchant and adds to his store the missing kaddis: The Mystery of the Missing Kaddis Store by theskymoves.

What can happen if we install that along with your mod?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Portucally Portucally.
    MariusTempius
    MariusTempius
    Participant

Ah, interesting that cutting the Kaddis store was intentional by Bioware.

I guess then that “Telm of Harmon” was also an intentional cut? (Seems like he’s connected to the Return to Ostagar dlc. Would be cool to run into him in Denerim imo, but I understand if you dont want to restore him.)

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

“There’s a mod by skymoves that restores this merchant and adds to his store the missing kaddis: The Mystery of the Missing Kaddis Store by theskymoves.

What can happen if we install that along with your mod?

Far as I can tell, should be fully compatible. I make no alterations to the Frostback Mountain Pass area.

I guess then that “Telm of Harmon” was also an intentional cut?

Wow. NEVER heard of this guy – even looking him up on google now, the only references I see to him at all are that video and a single reference to his creature file on a DA wiki page that lists EVERY creature file. Found both his dialogue file and creature file. I don’t see anything that clearly indicates he was a deliberate cut, for the record – more like just… incomplete. The dialogue does appear to get messed up near the end of the dialogue, which might be why he didn’t appear in game, but it seems fixable. No indication of *where* he was supposed to appear. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll look into seeing if it’s a possible restoration for a later version.

Firepanda
    firepanda
    Participant

Wow same. It’s amazing all the small bits of content hidden in the toolset like this. Similarly, I only discovered Renold the Propagandist fairly recently from another Youtube video.

Actually, some of the characters on the wiki page sound pretty interesting. Who are “Reth’maznik”, “Hanald Farmerson” and “Tyrus the Drunk”? What was the “scholars” random encounter meant to be? And I can only assume “The Magnificent Gaider” (and various “grobnards”) were going to be an easter egg.

EDIT Ok it seems Gaider and the Grobnards have a scene and everything. No idea if this was meant to be a toolset-only easter egg, but… I think it would be hilarious if you added it into the game as a very rare random encounter.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Firepanda firepanda.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Yeah, I actually found a bunch of those yesterday after looking at Telm (not the Gaider one though). Hanald and Tyrus are part of an unimplemented Blackstone Irregulars quest called “Proving Your Quality”… there’s easily enough there for a restoration, but it’s extremely similar to the BI Kill the Deserters quest, with the targets mostly in the same areas.

Anyway, yeah, I found a lot of potentially restorable stuff yesterday. I’ll post my findings tonight when I get home.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.