The Working-With-Voiceovers Thread

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum The Working-With-Voiceovers Thread

This topic contains 26 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Illusia Illusia 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

I decided to compare vanilla .fsb (56 kbit/s) and QUDAOF .fsb (48,73 kbit/s) files and the difference between the bitrates doesn’t look correct. That’s a fairly considerable decrease in quality…

Also, the values for dOffset and dSize — whatever those are — are different between the two files.

I wonder what’s the original source for correct audio format information? It might be worth the effort to experiment a little and export the file in 24000 Hz, 24 bit format. I don’t know if the resulting file will be usable or even make any difference, but it should have better bitrate while still being 24000 Hz and mono.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Illusia Illusia.
    Soth
    soth
    Participant

Yea I can test that for you Qwinn, I’ll keep an eye on this thread

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hmmm… *actually*… come to think of it…

When recreating the .fsb’s with FMOD, it didn’t just create the .fsb and .fev. There were a handful of other files as well… I forget the extension of those files, but as I didn’t know whether they were needed, I left them in my folders during my own test run. When it came time to package up the mod, I found that the Builder to Player dazip creator did not allow those files to be packaged with the mod, so I wound up nuking them. That would have been very close to the time that I re-merged Alistair into a single .fsb. Clearly, though, those extra files aren’t necessary, as no one playing the mod got them.

No one playing my mod has yet reported an incorrect dialogue line playing, except for mckatsims who reported such a line misplaying Alistair’s gift-giving soundbite when clicking on him in the party picker, but that seems to be a vanilla bug – see here:

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Bugs_(Origins)#Giving_Gifts_bug

(I did look to try and find out what could cause *that* bug, for the record, but didn’t get anywhere. The list says it’s only confirmed on XBox and Playstation, but what mckatsims described is so close to that listing that I think it’s more likely it was caused by whatever that bug is than the issue we’re dealing with here.)

Looking at various time stamps of my files, it looks like I repackaged Alistair’s FSB into a single large file containing all his dialogue the day *before* I released beta 3.0. So, no one else ever got to play with that split .fsb thing, and only I experienced the misplaying lines issue. But, when I did, I did it with those extraneous files that it seems to me *might* have interfered with the dialogue.

The next time I do a full run through, I’m going to try it with the split .fsb’s and those extra files removed, and see if I can duplicate the misplayed line issue. If I *do* find such a line, and the issue is reproducible, I can look and see if there’s a way to edit the .fev and otherwise investigate ways to try to solve the problem.

That would obviously take quite some time, though.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Sorry, didn’t see your post prior to my last one, Illusia.

I know the files are required to be 16 bit for FMOD to process them correctly… 24 bit won’t work, unfortunately. But I don’t think that’s where the issue lies. soth says he can hear the problem in the .mp3 that’s extracted from the .fsb (Aezay’s FSB extractor is one of the extractors I tried to use, though what actually shipped with the game was done using fsbext. I’m actually not sure which of those extraction tools created the files I posted yesterday that soth checked out. Later today I’ll make sure they’re done with Aezay’s extractor and re-upload them, in case there’s a difference).

Anyway, if the distortion is already in the .mp3 coming fresh out of the original .FSB, which soth confirmed, then I don’t think improving the bitrate on the FMOD import will help. The problem is in the closest thing we can get to the source file, unfortunately.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

BTW, Illusia, did you try downloading the .mp3 and .wav? Can you confirm Sothear’s impression that it’s audible in the .mp3 and it’s no worse in the .wav? That does tell us a lot, and since we all seem to hear different things, would be good to get as many tests of that as we can.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

I did. I even converted the .wav into 48 kbit/s .mp3 because for some reason that’s the final product that ends up into the .fsb file. I can’t really hear any difference between any of them. I don’t think it’s as pronounced as it is in game, but all of them have an audible pop/crackle at the end.

As far as I can figure, it is actually the .mp3 (packaged in the .fsb) that plays in game. I don’t think it gets converted or modified during the extraction process at all, so the .mp3 file you posted yesterday should be exactly the same as the one we hear in game. The “cracle” being audible in the .mp3 makes me think it’s something else that neutralizes it in game. Are there compression settings or something like that available when you repackage the .fsb/.fev files?

If you want help testing those split .fsbs, I have some free time coming up this week and I could run through the game for testing purposes. It’s just Alistair’s dialogue I’d need to pay special attention to, right?

Edit: Also, I extracted the files with Aezay’s extractor and it makes no difference.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Illusia Illusia.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Sorry that I wasn’t able to produce the split .fsb’s this week – it’s a bit of a time consuming process (and I’ve had little extra time lately), and I want to investigate FMOD to see if some option could help matters. I should have some time to work on it tomorrow (Sunday), and will make them available as a separate download via this thread for anyone who wants to test it – it should get rid of any sound distortion in the original dialogue lines, but I’ll need reports on whether it ever causes the wrong line to play in game in order to deploy it globally.

Soth
    soth
    Participant

hey I appreciate you continuing to work on this, any update?

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Yeah, really sorry, I will get the files together this week, promise.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Ok, I spent some time on it tonight. Unfortunately, all I did was confirm the problem.

I regenerated Alistair’s sound files according to the method described in the tutorial above, creating these:

alistair_main.fev
    alistair_main_Qwinn.fsb

The _Qwinn.fsb only contains my new lines. That process also created alistair_main.fsb which contains all the sounds that I *didn’t* change, so not having that as part of the mod should remove the sound issues you guys are having. Problem is, though, that as I said, an occasional line sometimes just happens to play the completely wrong sound. Conveniently, one of them is in the Circle Mage first-meeting-Alistair dialogue we’ve been working on. Instead of the circle mage saying “Tell her I will not be harassed in this manner!”, the sound that plays is Alistair saying “Of course you are, and you know it. You’re ravishing, resourceful, and all those other things you’d probably hurt me for not saying.”, which is in a completely different part of his dialogue.

Now if I put the alistair_main.fsb that was generated when I created the above two lines back in, that problem doesn’t happen anymore, but you guys will hear your sound problems.

One thing I did just find out is that if I don’t include the Alistair_main.fsb and just have the first two files I listed in play, the wrong sound WILL play if I preview the line in the toolset. So someone with an infinite amount of time could go through all 1,338 voiced Alistair lines in the toolset and find out which ones are playing incorrectly, and presumably I could put THOSE lines in Alistair_main_qwinn.fsb as well and maybe that would fix the problem without screwing up something else? Which would require *another* test of 1,338 lines just to confirm.

If I give you guys just the first two files I listed, well, alistair_main.fsb is part of v3.3, so it won’t make a difference. For you guys to experience what I’m talking about, I’d have to release a version of the mod without alistair_main.fsb. The question is, is there any reason for me to do so? As in, do you guys have any idea how to fix what I’m describing, or what could be causing it?

Soth
    soth
    Participant

I am so out of my depth with this kind of stuff that it isn’t even funny lol. Sorry that I can’t help more on the technical side of things but if there’s anything I can do, let me know. Like I said I appreciate you having this kind of dialogue with your mod users :D.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

Sadly, I’m very much out of my depth here. Having said that, I’m wondering if the new alistair_main.fev re-issued some of the string ids for whatever reason. That could result in overlap, which might explain why the new alistair_main.fsb is needed. And no, I have no idea what I’m talking about!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.