Version 3.3 Development Discussion

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum Version 3.3 Development Discussion

This topic contains 51 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Qwinn Qwinn 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

RE: Morrigan saying she’ll see you again when she leaves – I tend to agree with you that she needs to deliver some sort of “We will meet again” line to be consistent with what she says in the Dark Ritual dialogue. It’s not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately. The line from refusing to accept her quest that you offered as a possibility isn’t actually in Morrigan’s main dialogue file, it’s in party_camp.dlg. And surprisingly, the “You have returned from the Wilds” speech *isn’t* the only place she leaves that she doesn’t say anything like that. Asking her “Why are you still here?” and then “Yes, I want you to go.”, all she’ll say is “So be it. May you find victory on your own.”. Even if I were to perform dialogue surgery and move that line from Party_camp to Morrigan_main, it seems to be it’d be awkward to add a “Know that we are not done with each other” line after “May you find victory on your own.”. The closest thing to an appropriate line in morrigan’s own dialogue is if you tell her to go during the exchange after she refuses to sleep with you, where she can say “We will see each other again. And it will be… easier to do what I must.”. That doesn’t seem great to me either. So, unsure of how to deal with this properly at this point.

“* Another Morrigan related one: The “Is Flemeth really what she seems to be?” conversation makes no sense if you initiate it after completing Morrigan’s personal quest. Specifically, the questions “The legend tells of Flemeth having many daughters?” and “How is it that Flemeth has survived for so long?” no longer make any sense to ask. If you completed the quest you’ve already discussed this with her, and you both already know the answers.”

I think the bulk of “Is Flemeth really what she seems to be?” is mostly okay (despite the use of the present tense even if she’s dead, which isn’t great but it’s a LOT of otherwise okay content to cut just for that), but I agree that the two specific questions you mentioned no longer work after a certain point, and furthermore, I think that certain point is after she asks you to kill Flemeth, not just after the quest is completed. When she gives you the quest, those two questions are answered. Do you agree with this paragraph?

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Totalbalance:

I’ve done the fixes regarding Wynne and Sten’s scenes in the Fade. Sent you a link on Nexus forums… would you mind throwing them in /packages/core/override and seeing if they fix your clipping issues, etc.? Since as you said it seems it’s possible it’ll affect different computers differently.

Mckatsims
    mckatsims
    Participant

“Really? Please share, lol! A good plausible explanation is as good as a bugfix in my book in cases like this, heh.”

My Warden for this playthrough is a bit of an obnoxious tit (channeling Aveline for a second) when it comes to his skill in battle. He’s the type who would claim he can sense darkspawn just to outshine someone more skilled, in this case, an actual Warden. Ostagar and the Tower of Ishal knocked his ego down a notch or two lol.

By the way, if you’re interested in more compatible mods with 3.2, I’m using Lock Bash and the No Helmet Hack without any issues.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Mckatsims mckatsims.
    Totalbalance
    Totalbalance
    Participant

Tried the file you sent and it worked fine! The camera issues in the fade are no more. Probably.

With the Flemeth dialogue, I do agree with what you said. Making those two questions unavailable after killing Flemeth is pretty much what I was thinking.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

CT3211: Sten’s Nightmare: Fixed some buggy camera work in Sten’s Fade sequence (Sten stands up but the camera kept pointing at his sitting position in several paths). Thanks to dgm22 of the Nexus forums for making me aware of this one. (v3.3) Missed a few paths the first time through (thanks to Totalbalance for making me aware and helping test the extended fix). All camera issues in this scene should now be completely fixed.

CT3311: Wynne’s Nightmare: Fixed some clipping issues with the ground in the scene where Wynne stands amidst the bodies. Thanks to Totalbalance for making me aware of this one.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Qwinn Qwinn.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Getting some reports on the Nexus forums that the Redcliffe siege isn’t working properly, but I can’t replicate the problem. Did any of you get through that okay, or experience any issues? They’re claiming the cutscene doesn’t play, the oil fire doesn’t get lit and the guy who calls you to defend the chantry is coming too soon. I can’t replicate any of that.

Totalbalance
    Totalbalance
    Participant

I remebered not getting the cutscene at the beginning of the seige so I opened the game and did some testing. Through trial and error I’ve discovered that I get the cutscene if I uninstall your fixpack or the Dragon Age Rules Fixpack. So there’s defenately some kind of conflict between the two mods.

Also, no fire in my game. That one happens no matter what, so your mod seems more likely to be the culprit, but it could also be a another conflict I suppose.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Aaah, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. From the Dragon Age Rules Fixpack readme:

“[heading]COMPATIBILITY:[/heading]
    There is a game imposed limitation which can cause things to break if you have too many mods all affecting the same event. In particular, cutscenes & plot events such as the “Siege of Redcliffe” can fail to execute properly. All the components from this pack will co-exist with each other without introducing such bugs, but any additional mod can cause problems.”

Just having the “Core Files – Required” directory *alone* causes it to screw things up. No cutscene or fire for me, and the zombies don’t even start coming down the hill.

So. That’s a problem. I can only suggest uninstalling DA Fixpack for the battle, I guess.

(Not sure why you wouldn’t get the fire without the DA Fixpack installed. I get it every time.)

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Okay, I’ve released hotfix v3.23 to deal with that issue. This could wind up solving conflicts with other Event Manager mods in the Siege of Redcliffe too.

Were there any other mod conflicts like this that you discovered in your runs, Totalbalance? I can sometimes resolve them, but only if I know about ’em.

Totalbalance
    Totalbalance
    Participant

No, I have not tested any mod conflicts until now. Should I ever find one I’ll report it, though.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Ok cool thank you. And no worries, I didn’t miss the other things you reported, just been busy with the last two hotfixes dealing with issues that were reported on the Nexus page. I’ll try to follow up soon.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

Hm, it seems like my message still didn’t go through? No error messages or anything like that. It’s probably the links. -Pinjanna

EDIT: Yup, that’s it!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Illusia Illusia.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Gotcha… the forum software must have some overly picky default settings for that. I’ll go through them as soon as I get home in about 7 hours and stop any silly filters it must have going on. I’ll add another post here when thats done and you should be able to post links then. Thanks for letting me know, and welcome to the forums!

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hmmm, so I’m unsure of how to fix the forum issue of not being able to post links… I did make one change which MAY work, but for now I’m going to move on to address the actual issues reported with the game.

Here’s a copy of what illusia posted on the Nexus mod page:

“Just a few little things…

I can’t quite figure out what it is that bothers me about the first discussion Dwarf Commoner has with Rica… Does the “Yet you tell me I can become a Paragon?” line loop back to a wrong spot or something?”

Mmm, it looks correct to me in the editor. I did test that first conversation pretty extensively at one point, and while it’s possible to get Rica to repeat herself, I don’t really consider that a bug (if I did, I’d have to rewrite most dialogues in the game). If you can spot something specific other than that that you think is wrong with the dialogue, I’ll be happy to take a look.

“Both circle mage robe models look exactly the same when equipped on human female. Elf and dwarf versions are fine. hf_rob_appa_0.mmh (_2.mmh, _3.mmh) refers to the wrong material object (should be pf_rob_appa not pf_rob_appb).”

Spent a while looking at this, I would indeed like to fix it if I can, but this is my first time trying to edit something like this. I’m pretty sure you’re talking about the models used by the items named “Robes” and “Mage Robes” – looking in the toolset and viewing it for Human Female, they look identical, while every other combo like dwarf, elf, male, etc., looks different. I’m not sure how to edit the hf_rob_appa_o.mmh to change what it refers to though – the toolset by itself doesn’t seem to allow editing (if I just try to look at the properties of that model, it says “please select a resource and not a folder”. I looked through some 2DA’s too and couldn’t find where that could be changed.

“Also, on your own forums you mentioned not knowing how others managed to extract the necessary encrypted files for Shale’s Rock Barrage. I tried to post this as a reply but I guess it got deleted:

pyGFF can extract the encrypted DLC files, TlkEdit2 for NWN2 can edit many of them and GDApp works with the GDAs.”

I had actually already tried pyGFF and it didn’t work for me. I am fairly certain I need to work with anim_shale.gda that I found in a 2da.erf from the addins for The Stone Prisoner. However, if I try to use editor.exe in pygff to open that 2da.erf, it lists all the .gda’s in it, including the one I want (anim_shale.gda), but if I select it and try to open it, I get a “Parse Error: Not a supported file”. Looking in editor.exe.log, it says it’s encrypted. Trying to export it didn’t work for me either (just says the export failed). Any hints on what I’m doing wrong?

And yes, if I can actually get that working, I am seriously considering doing my own version of a combat rules Fixpack. I avoided doing that previously because I thought over the last 7 years that those sorts of fixes had been dealt with sufficiently, but the more I hear about it, the less I think that’s really the case, and the existing rules fixpacks continue to have some major issues. They seem to rely on Event Manager, which seems to run up against a nested script limit in the engine (which I tried to deal with in the most problematic place in game via hotfix v3.23 and v3.24 by making the Siege of Redcliffe itself use less script calls, but who knows where else in game an overuse of Event Manager mods might run into that limit. I would likely attempt to do these fixes without Event Manager, modifying the relevant game files themselves, to eliminate that ongoing compatibility problem. This might make my fixes incompatible with the tweaks that these other mods make, though, so I would make my version a separate mod from my regular Fixpack, and people can choose to use it versus the other mods. My version should create less bugs/issues like the one DARF caused in the Siege of Redcliffe though. I wouldn’t bother if I couldn’t do Shale’s Rock Barrage, though, as that’s a pretty major fix and, if I couldn’t fix it myself, folks would have to use the other mods anyway for just that, which would still need to use event manager, which would make my version pointless.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

You’ll need to manually extract the .mmh files and then edit them with toolset or pyGFF. The files can be found in [install folder]\packages\core\data\modelhierarchies.erf, and hf_rob_appa_0.mmh can also be found in [install folder]\packages\core\patch\patch002.erf. Once you have the file open: MMH_CHILDREN -> MMH_CHILDREN -> 6 and modify the MMH_MATERIAL_OBJECT field. Save. That’s it.

I was doing some digging around in game files and it turns out that pf_rob_appb.mao (\packages\core\data\materialobjects.erf) is missing specular map information. This would be the reason why the circle mage robe model for human females has very little shine. Male version is fine and the texture files for females are there (pf_rob_appb_0s.dds/_0sL2.dds/_0sL3.dds) so it’s an easy fix. I had no idea there was a bug like this but having just fixed this for myself, the difference is pretty remarkable in-game.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.