Version 3.3 Development Discussion

Home page Forums Dragon Age: Origins Fixpack Forum Version 3.3 Development Discussion

This topic contains 51 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Qwinn Qwinn 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

“I had actually already tried pyGFF and it didn’t work for me. I am fairly certain I need to work with anim_shale.gda that I found in a 2da.erf from the addins for The Stone Prisoner. However, if I try to use editor.exe in pygff to open that 2da.erf, it lists all the .gda’s in it, including the one I want (anim_shale.gda), but if I select it and try to open it, I get a “Parse Error: Not a supported file”. Looking in editor.exe.log, it says it’s encrypted. Trying to export it didn’t work for me either (just says the export failed). Any hints on what I’m doing wrong?”

Try opening 2da.erf in editor.exe and select File –> Export All. Then use GDApp to edit the file. Works for me.

“And yes, if I can actually get that working, I am seriously considering doing my own version of a combat rules Fixpack.
    I avoided doing that previously because I thought over the last 7 years that those sorts of fixes had been dealt with sufficiently, but the more I hear about it, the less I think that’s really the case, and the existing rules fixpacks continue to have some major issues. They seem to rely on Event Manager, which seems to run up against a nested script limit in the engine (which I tried to deal with in the most problematic place in game via hotfix v3.23 and v3.24 by making the Siege of Redcliffe itself use less script calls, but who knows where else in game an overuse of Event Manager mods might run into that limit. I would likely attempt to do these fixes without Event Manager, modifying the relevant game files themselves, to eliminate that ongoing compatibility problem. This might make my fixes incompatible with the tweaks that these other mods make, though, so I would make my version a separate mod from my regular Fixpack, and people can choose to use it versus the other mods. My version should create less bugs/issues like the one DARF caused in the Siege of Redcliffe though. I wouldn’t bother if I couldn’t do Shale’s Rock Barrage, though, as that’s a pretty major fix and, if I couldn’t fix it myself, folks would have to use the other mods anyway for just that, which would still need to use event manager, which would make my version pointless.”

This would be absolutely fantastic! There’s definitely still a need for a all-in-one Fixpack. I’ve spent countless hours trying to make different Fixpacks work together and weed out all the unwanted tweaks. (Hmm, I could almost swear I’m using Shale’s Rock Barrage Fix without the DARF Core Files and the fix is working. I think. Maybe.)

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Illusia Illusia.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

“You’ll need to manually extract the .mmh files and then edit them with toolset or pyGFF. The files can be found in [install folder]\packages\core\data\modelhierarchies.erf, and hf_rob_appa_0.mmh can also be found in [install folder]\packages\core\patch\patch002.erf. Once you have the file open: MMH_CHILDREN -> MMH_CHILDREN -> 6 and modify the MMH_MATERIAL_OBJECT field. Save. That’s it.”

This I was able to get working – thank you for the help! Just to make sure we’re getting similar results, after doing this, the item “Mage Robes” stops looking exactly like “Robes” and instead looks like a gold version of “Apprentice Robes” (just when worn by human females, of course).

“I was doing some digging around in game files and it turns out that pf_rob_appb.mao (\packages\core\data\materialobjects.erf) is missing specular map information. This would be the reason why the circle mage robe model for human females has very little shine. Male version is fine and the texture files for females are there (pf_rob_appb_0s.dds/_0sL2.dds/_0sL3.dds) so it’s an easy fix. I had no idea there was a bug like this but having just fixed this for myself, the difference is pretty remarkable in-game.”

I can extract pf_rob_appb.mao from materialobjects.erf with pyGFF using Export All, but I can’t seem to edit it – I get “Parse Failure – Not a supported file” on it as well. Toolset won’t open it either.

“Try opening 2da.erf in editor.exe and select File –> Export All. Then use GDApp to edit the file. Works for me.”

Export All doesn’t work for me either. Export fails. Can you tell me the path of the 2da.erf that contains Shale’s files that you’re able to export in this way? Maybe we’re trying to do it to different files, let’s confirm we’re working on the same thing. The one I’m trying to export is InstallDir/Addins/dao_prc_cp_2/core/data/2da.erf.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Qwinn Qwinn.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Additional info: This is what I get in editor.exe.log after a couple of attempts trying to export it:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “erf.pyc”, line 209, in __init__
    File “erf.pyc”, line 344, in password
    ValueError: (‘no correct passwords’, ‘G\x87\xa7(\xe0\x88\x02\x89\xc7\x11[K=\x91\x00\xfc’)
    File “editor.pyw”, line 828, in open_gff
    File “erf.pyc”, line 245, in open
    RuntimeError: encrypted
    File “erf.pyc”, line 209, in __init__
    File “erf.pyc”, line 344, in password
    ValueError: (‘no correct passwords’, ‘G\x87\xa7(\xe0\x88\x02\x89\xc7\x11[K=\x91\x00\xfc’)
    File “editor.pyw”, line 1055, in export_files
    File “erf.pyc”, line 356, in export
    File “erf.pyc”, line 245, in open
    RuntimeError: encrypted

Wondering if this is a peculiarity of the Steam version of the files.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

“This I was able to get working – thank you for the help! Just to make sure we’re getting similar results, after doing this, the item “Mage Robes” stops looking exactly like “Robes” and instead looks like a gold version of “Apprentice Robes” (just when worn by human females, of course).”

Yes, that’s correct.

“I can extract pf_rob_appb.mao from materialobjects.erf with pyGFF using Export All, but I can’t seem to edit it – I get “Parse Failure – Not a supported file” on it as well. Toolset won’t open it either.”

Sorry, I should have mentioned that Toolset won’t be able to open it… I use Notepad. You could extract the _appa.mao as well and just copy (and edit, of course) the specular map information from there.

“Export All doesn’t work for me either. Export fails. Can you tell me the path of the 2da.erf that contains Shale’s files that you’re able to export in this way? Maybe we’re trying to do it to different files, let’s confirm we’re working on the same thing.”

Odd, I have absolutely no problems extracting 2da.erf found in \Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\AddIns\dao_prc_cp_2\core\data\ using pyGFF’s editor.exe. I can also open anim_shale.gda file with GDApp (and pyGFF, just far prefer GDApp).

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Aaah, you’re finding yours under Documents, mine is only under steamapps. Steam version must have more encryption. I’m wondering if I’ll need to uninstall the Steam version and reinstall the Origin version? Is that how you installed it?

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

I do own several different versions, but I think I’m running a retail version.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Illusia Illusia.
    Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

For version 3.3:

IF3321: “Mage Robes”: When worn by human females, this clothing would look exactly like the separate item “Robes”, while looking different for anyone else wearing it. The intended appearance for human females wearing these robes has been restored. Many thanks to Illusia for making me aware of this one and showing me how to correct it.

IF3322: “Apprentice Robes”, “Mage Robes”: The specular mask for these robes when worn by females of any race was missing and has been restored, making the robes appear much less drab. Many thanks to Illusia for making me aware of this one and showing me how to correct it.

Thanks Illusia!

I’m going to see about trying to download The Stone Prisoner from Origin directly and see if I can extract that.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

“IF3322: “Apprentice Robes”, “Mage Robes”: The specular mask for these robes when worn by human females was missing and has been restored, making the robes appear much less drab. Many thanks to Illusia for making me aware of this one and showing me how to correct it.”

This fix actually works for all females — not just humans.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Corrected the bug description, thanks!

I downloaded The Stone Prisoner from Bioware directly, and still can’t extract the GDA’s or any other content properly. All encrypted. Sigh. No idea how to proceed on that front.

On the other hand, I believe you’re correct that the Dragon Age Rules Fixpack version of the Rock Barrage fix will work fine without needing to install the core files – that fix doesn’t use Event Manager.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

“I downloaded The Stone Prisoner from Bioware directly, and still can’t extract the GDA’s or any other content properly. All encrypted. Sigh. No idea how to proceed on that front.”

I think my DLCs are also downloaded directly from Bioware. I suspect there are ways to decrypt the DLC files and now I wonder if that’s what I did and somehow managed to forget that. Anyways, I could always just send the necessary files to you — it’s not like they are particularly large.

“IF3321: “Mage Robes”: When worn by human females, this clothing would look exactly like the separate item “Robes”, while looking different for anyone else wearing it. The intended appearance for human females wearing these robes has been restored. Many thanks to Illusia for making me aware of this one and showing me how to correct it.”

This modifies the human female version of the Apprentice Robes (blue), Mage Robes (yellow) and Senior Enchanter’s Robes (red) as all of them use the Robe, Apprentice (_appa) variation. This has one side effect you may or may not wish to fix: Wynne’s iconic outfit is the Senior Enchanter’s Robes and that now looks completely different.

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Hmm, yeah, that Wynne issue is problematic. Folks may not think of that as a fix, even though technically it appears that it is, as we’re just correcting some inconsistent file settings – but honestly I don’t think that look really suits her, and I suspect the vanilla look for her was intended despite the bug. I believe I can limit the extent of the fix by changing the Senior Enchanter robes to use the “Mage, Robes” variation, which seems to keep it looking like it does in vanilla. Would that change the look of those robes on non-human females though? I suspect it would. Ugh. I may not be able to implement this fix if so.

(Seems very odd that “Senior Enchanter Robes” use a variation called “Apprentice Robes” to begin with, though.)

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

Oh, I think the .mmh edit is definitely a fix. I can’t see any reason for Bioware to do that on purpose. If you take Wynne’s robes and put them on your elf female, it makes no sense for them to look completely different. I also agree that Wynne’s vanilla look is intentional. Your proposed fix is the one I’ve been using for a long time. And yes, it does change the look on non-human females as well. I don’t necessary see that as a problem, though.

I think it’s a real possibility that “Senior Enchanter Robes” using a variation called “Apprentice Robes” is actually a bug. Just one that was less obvious when they looked correct on Wynne. Also, if the .mmh edit is a fix and Wynne’s look is intentional, wouldn’t it make sense that the other Senior Enchanters had similar looking robes?

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

Gah, coudn’t edit anymore.

This fix would actually change the look of Senior Enchanter Robes on non-human females and all males, as well. I don’t necessary see that as a problem, though.

In the vanilla game, all the mages in the circle tower, apart from First Enchanter Irving and all the human females, are wearing similar looking robes. This fix would restore some variation there. (I’d recommend playing through the Mage Origin for a bit and running around in the tower — these changes make very much sense.)

Qwinn
    Qwinn
    Keymaster

Okay, I’ve done some more investigation of the robes issues.

“IF3322: “Apprentice Robes”, “Mage Robes”, “Senior Enchanters Robes”, “Tranquil Robes”: The specular mask for these robes when worn by females was missing and has been restored, making the robes appear much less drab. Many thanks to Illusia for making me aware of this one and showing me how to correct it.”

This is inarguably a fix and improvement, IMO. It doesn’t change the basic appearance of the robes on any females, but it does restore the interplay of light and shadow on them and does indeed make them appear much less drab and flat. Definitely going in. Thank you!

The other issue is even more problematic than I thought, however. Another robe that uses the Apprentice Robe variation is the Tranquil Robes – which, oddly, is what Wynne wears in Ostagar. The fix totally changes her appearance there too – gives her the Yellow Apprentice Robe look, which I think we’ve both agreed isn’t really appropriate for her. So, I’d either have to change what she’s wearing there, or change the Tranquil Robe appearance for everyone by changing the variation on those robes to “Robes, Mage” like we discussed for the Senior Enchanter Robes, which would change their appearance on everyone, including male tranquil mages. Not comfortable at all with either of those options as a “fix”.

I will continue to look into it though… running around in the Circle Tower in the Origin and seeing the overall effect, as you requested. Will let you know what I decide, just thought I’d mention the Tranquil Robe issue and see if you have a suggestion there I’m not thinking of.

Illusia
    Illusia
    Participant

My personal solution is to have the Senior Enchanter Robes use the “Robes, Mage” variation and have Wynne wear her iconic outfit in every occasion we meet her at. If you wish to keep her in Tranquil Robes (that look like “Robe, Mage”) during Ostagar and the Epilogue, I can’t really think of any other solution than creating an unique item for her. I wouldn’t touch the actual Tranquil Robes — that would probably be considered a tweak by most.

(If you are undecided, you could always ask for people’s opinions at Nexus. It would be really interesting to know if someone would consider this a tweak rather than a fix.)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.